What is intelligent content?
Intelligent Content is the content which is produced with a view that it will be used across multiple channels, on multiple platforms and in varying lengths and formats. Thus usage under multiple scenarios and multiple devices becomes the essence of its production. This is not "one size fits all" type, but rather a sizeable data which is very well structured, has support of metadata (data about data itself), has sementic tags which divide the conent into sections and is reformatable depending upon the need.
One of 2013 “fails in making” is Google Chrome’s OS which despite having impressive features is failing to leave an impression.When looking at the charts, it is coming from largest internet giant, is based on stable foundation of ubuntu and is engineered by Samsung and Acer. It is well known, its low cost, its quick, its light, its smart, and has over 0.7 million bank of apps, yet what is missing in the equation which it pulling it down?
Chrome OS has human experience problems.
Intent is an abstract expression which narrates outcome a person or an organization wants to achieve. Intent is uni-dimensional (doesn't include cost) and only talks about benefits but lacks depth and scope.
Objective defines clear and more focussed outcomes which are
- Time Specific
This schema of objectives is also known as SMART. There is another variation of the this schema which is called SMART-ER. SMARTER include following additional aspect to its defiantion
Howerver these aspect only make sense when a round of SMART objectives has completed.
We are familiar with business tone and voice and a particular style, a dialect with which a writer is able to talk to its audience. When a content-strategist develops a communication theme, it is called "tone-and-voice". What about UX Designer and outcome of his efforts? Presently we identify the outcomes of the efforts of a “user experience designer” as "user-experience" which is crossing a logical line. Experience is fairly subjective and depends upon perceptions and situations which a user is
Following mental notes are meant to be used by Information Architects and Interaction designers who design web and mobile applications for the users. This is exact of my learning and experiences which I came across over the years.
- Why comes before How. Why people use our products is the core and answer to this why is a sentence as basic as having 2 words.
- Management is doing things right;
leadership is doing the right things.
—Peter F. Drucker
Using white text on dark backgrounds
I have been listening to this advice that white text on black background is not comfortable and shouldn't be used for large volume of text. This aspect is proven through an experiment conducted by Bauer and Cavonius where they found...
- Created on 25 August 2012
- Written by Graphican
- Hits: 32
Australian Government’s Web Initiative
The Australian Government has endorsed the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.0 for all government websites. This requirement supersedes the previous mandate for compliance with WCAG 1.0. Australian Government has made it mandatory to implement WCAG A and AA level of accessibility guidelines by the end of December, 2014. Level of A is therefore required to be met by the end of December, 2012. Read more about Australian Government’s accessibility guidelines.
Followings are some of the qualitative aspects associated with the User Experience
How easy is it for a new user to use an application and to perform a task? For more complicated tasks, are there sufficient help features such as tutorials, in-line tips and hints, tool tips, etc.?
How obvious and easy is the task to accomplish? For tasks requireing multiple steps, is a user able to move along intended path on his own?
Planning is foundation of Actions. When it comes to Usesr Experience Plannign, it is divided into 5 sections.
User Experience designer as a role and skill-set is evolving and improving over time. Started as an Interaction Designer to Information Architect, the role is evolving incorporating elements of cognition, emotions and brain-sciences. Now UX Designer cannot afford to be a designer as per say... He has to be a User Experience Strategist who is able to understand business goals and align his UX Strategy with it. UX designer also needs to be a psychologist,
Failure must be embrassed as one of the compnians of one's professional life. If you don't fail, you will go flop pretty son. In business studies, we learn that organizations which play safe and restrin from taking risks stop growing and prosperting. Same is true for individuals.
What lean startup is not
Its not cheap startup
its not fast startup
its not a shortcut
What is it in reality?
It is opposit to fat startup
Eric Ryce Presentation in Stanford University
Startups are not shrunken down large organizations
Startup doesn’t need to have departments.
Human Institutions to create something new under extreme condition of uncertainty.
Uncertainty is the main aspect which makes entrepreneurs different
Our preceptions of colors is more relative than we have been taking. By now we understand that background has impact on a small piece of object placed in it, like red dot on black, gray and white seems to have different color intensity and saturation. But this relevent impact on the preception is not visible in the foreground colors only and can be seen in the large, dominent and apparently color-less tints like white and dark gray. Have a look at two examples given below.
Image on the top-left seems to have a light tint of brownish green in the background because of tiny tints in the foreground. The image on the right is the same image and has exactly the same background but in the presence of gray text, background appears to be color-less and neutrally gray. Same impact can be felt in the bottom-left image which seems to have a pink-tint in the background even though it is exactly the same and doesn't have any value of hue (#333).
By defination, strategy alone means
“a plan of action designed to achieve a long-term or overall aim”
In simple terms, it is a plan which we design and then follow to achieve an objective. What is a UX Strategy then? following the same guideline, UX Strategy would be “a plan which is designed to achieve user-experience-objectives” - smart as!
How do we define a user-experience-objective? How do we design a UX plan?
User Design Experience is name of a Process. A set of procedures which involves undestanding your grounds, undestanding objectives, following a defined and well structured research methodology, structured design, developement and problem solving and finally, testing and evaluating how close you got to your objectives and how real those objectives were to the intent.
I intend to write a complete article on the subject, as the time allows.
---- In Progress ----
One day while travelling by train, a thought came to my mind that trains have stopped announcing arrival of train stations. It wasn’t result of an observation but rather a realization that had not heard that pre-recorded female voice making announcements since long and at the same time, started thinking what may have made them stop that helpful announcement.
Within a few minutes as train approached the next station, I was amazed to listen to the same train announce in equally loud and clear voice and upon listening that,
These are not meant to
- RIGHT SURVIVES.
- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Standing there and waiting for direction. Make your own direction and making it happen.
- Stay hungry, stay foolish.
- Live every day of your life if this was your last.
- Spend every dolllar as if it was your last.
- Dots connect backwards in life and never forward words. So do silly things, let life collect those dots.
- Stress can reduce life expectancy if it is taken to harm your health and life - but the people who know that biological reaction to stress (pounding heartbeat, sweating, increased breath, release of oxytocin hormone) is actually a support from one's body to cope with stress which makes one stabler and stronger against stress are actually able to live their life longer and stress causes no harm to them. Learn - body's response to cope with stress is actually coping with it. Let body do the job and relax.
- Life oscillates, everything I do oscillates, my self-esteem, productivity, mood, emotion, relationship, everything has an up and downward curve. If you stop acting on matters, they will keep oscillating down.
- life is a journey not a destination.
- I always live in one mode - the working mode.
- I haven't lived in husband mode or sons mode or fathers mode or a brother mode.
- You cannot get what you want until you know what you want.
- Relationships are gardens, if you don't water them regularly, they dry and collapse down.
- You can actually love more than once in life.
- rewilding of life is the best gift.
- Every wrong doing leads to suffering and its intensity is 100s time more than energy required to not do them.
- The one who dies happy wins.
- Honesty is the best gift which I can offer myself.
- Done is better than perfect.
- You always get what you screem for.
- Good design is obvious, great design is transparent, just like a great music of a film which produces every desired emmotion in viewer, yet it stays unnoticed.
- Design is the search for a magical balance between business and art; art and craft; intuition and reason; concept and detail; playfulness and formality; client and designer; designer and printer; and printer and public.
- Everything is designed. Few things are designed well.
- Design is as much an act of spacing as an act of occupying.
- Content precedes design. Design in the absence of content is not design but decoration.
- We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas. (Steve jobs)
- Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things.
- When you first start off trying to solve a problem, the first solutions you come up with are very complex, and most people stop there. But if you keep going, and live with the problem and peel more layers of the onion off, you can often times arrive at some very elegant and simple solutions. Most people just don't put in the time or energy to get there.
I have came across this well thought and persuasively designed email and then the landing page and found they are very good examples to follow.
- Starts with "One Luckey Nerd takes home all this. BE THAT NERD" creating mutilple preceptions including "chance to win", "being lucky" and finally.. a commanding instruction in Capitals "BE THAT NERD", creationg a balanced mix of Attraction, Inspiring and Commanding what to do.
- Selection and display of 4 welll thought images starting from Large Screen, Macbook, an ergonomic and relaxing chair and finally Red Headset with visible brand. All mentioned items are preceived high value among the audience this email is meant for.
- There is a blurred office image which has enough noise and softness to be used for subliminal messaging. I am not able to spot any obvious subliminals in it but if they are subliminal, I shouldn't be spoting them. Howerver liklihood of having a subconcious message is there.
- First line after the graphic reads "We've extended the deadline! You now have until October 6th at Midnight PST". This part is doing two tricks together.
- Creating a sense of extended opportunity
- Second line "You now have until october", the line is using assertive narrative telling you about leverage of time, yet making you think that it is a do-able or an obligation. A sentence like "now you can" would have created sense of "choice" which is not given.
- "To enter to win, simply deploy the New Relic agent by the deadline! Who doesn't want all that great stuff." It is again assertion to previous annotation of "comply, obey and follow" and ending the line with a negative psychological statement, "Who doesn't want all thsi great stuff".
- In the headings part, there are three simple but purposeful headings creating a reverse pyramid of reward, putting highest with most charm first, then second grade winner (no one wants to be second and thus no one values second prize; yet there is something if you loose first) and finally telling that everybody is a winner.
- Finally, a big red button which is visible and contains a verb "Deploy Now" as final instruction leading to specifically designed landing page. The area around the "call to action button" is empty and doesn't contain anything which may deserve a look.
Overall, a very good and well thought strategy to engage user, persuade him and lead him to perform desired action.
It is followed by an equally welld designed landing page and I will try to decipher its content later in detail but for your eyes, here it goes.